Community Alliance for Positive Solutions Inc. (CAPS)
CAPS is a non-profit community group based in Yarloop, Western Australia, consisting of approximately 150+ paid members out of over 360 supporters. We were formally established in June 2004 and incorporated in March 2005.
CAPS have a 20 year history of providing critical leadership in the negotiation and reconciliation of conflict arising between the affected Communities, government regulatory agencies (Agencies) and Alcoa.
CAPS role over the last two decades has been to:
- investigate, record and respond to Community complaints about Alcoa;
- make submissions to Agencies requesting review and amendment to Alcoa licensing conditions and Ministerial Approvals;
- instigate air quality analysis and collation of baseline data to evidence the causal link between Alcoa’s emissions and Community health complaints;
- instigate prosecutions against Alcoa for criminal pollution events such as excessive dust emissions from Alcoa’s mud lakes and breach of conditions of licence;
- prevent further increase of Alcoa’s production and pollution as proposed pursuant to Alcoa’s Unit 3 expansion until such time as further scientific studies are undertaken to evaluate Alcoa’s current impact on the Community;
- expose any irregularity in the close corporate and political relationship between Alcoa and the State which, to date, has perpetuated Alcoa’s reckless pollution of the environment and poisoning of the surrounding Community in the guise of ‘economic development’; and to
- create a platform for the free and open sharing of information and resources regarding Alcoa and the State’s operations with members of the general public to increase transparency and accountability for all involved.